Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The jitters

Election Day is here! This campaign has gone on FOREVER...but it's been pretty exhilirating. And the day is here now. I voted last week, so there wasn't much to do, I guess. And I keep hearing about how electric the day is...but you know what? I just feel jittery. Tense, anxious, good, and energetic, but with no where to focus that energy. Change. Hope. ...Faith. I think that's the point, right? We do everything that we can, and then we have faith. We hope. So I'm hoping, and I'm wearing my Obama Hope tee-shirt (admittedly, in part for the political support inherent and in part for the kitsch...yeah, that's how I am), and I'm waiting. I hope. I hope for a better nation than the one we live in, I hope for a better world - I think Barack Obama is a step in the right direction. But for now, I wait, and I hope.

Which is funny actually - this election day is not a far off parallel from many other aspects of our lives, huh? An obstacle arises, we do everything that we can and ultimately realize that it's outside of our *control*. So we hope. We wait, and pray, and be as kind and as full of love as we can.

I'm a leeeetle bit of a control freak, it's true. So I find this part of life particularly, uh, challenging (read, knashing of teeth, pulling out of hair). But, as you would probably guess, in the end there's nothing I can really do about it, except for wait, and hope, and pray - and apologize to those folks who happened to be nearby during the teeth knashing/hair pulling debacle.

"God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"

Yeah...

**By the way, there's a ton of great theatre out there right now. If you're reading this and you're around Denver - check out November (David Mamet's new(est?) work) at the Avenue Theatre (you'll appreciate it this month like you never may again) I Am My Own Wife at Theatreworks in Colorado Springs, and particularly...Speech & Debate at Curious Theatre (you may never STOP smiling), and B(loved)'s newest play at Boulder Ensemble Theatre, FAT PIG. You may know how I feel about Neil Labute anyway, and you definitely know how I feel about B's work...plus, dear friends Jeremy Make and Kate Avallone are in it...it's smart, funny, incidious...you'll love it and hate yourself (sounds like a good time, right :)

Go out, support local arts!

No comments: