Thursday, March 6, 2008

Good Art, Good Art!

I'm halfway through my week of 4 plays! Perhaps I should wait until I've seen the other two before writing a little review, but I'm just excited - so perhaps I'll revist them all together in one fell blog swoop...or not... you could always cut and paste and PRETEND that it was all one blog...this one, and the one yet to come...if you're following...

I'm feeling a little stream-of-consciousness today. One thought just follows another with no apparent thread to tie them all together. I'm very tired, and started the day off a little weepy (thanks to B. for being sweet and calm and quiet and settleing my restless mind) at the prospect of yet another day at work. But things just keep getting better and better from there. It's been a fairly lovely day all in all. Well, if the truth be told - it's a pretty miraculous day really, and it's absolutely imperative that I continue to remember that, and stop taking these moments, these days, this glorious existence for granted. I am wildly in love with life - and remembering to lift up a thank you everyday. Thank you.

See...I meant to talk about art...stream-of-consciousness...see what I mean? At any rate, I'm overjoyed to be seeing 4 plays this week. 4 plays, two nights of playing video games, cooking, and chilling with my beloved, and so far two nights of enjoying a little revelry with good theatre friends. Sounds like a banner week to me! Of course, with all this going on - plus a 46 hour work week, it's no wonder I woke up a little weepy :) Wow...I digress AGAIN. ART. I'm talking about ART!

The plays:
The Shape of Things by Neil Labute (starring beloved)
Sleeping Beauty (beloved's in this one too!)
Contrived Ending by Josh Hartwell (a new play by a new friend)
The Lieutenant of Inishmore by Martin McDonagh (new show opening at Curious this week)

So far I've seen The Shape of Things and Sleeping Beauty. Two down, two to go. So...let's talk theatre. I enjoyed both shows thoroughly. Can I just take a minute to talk specifically about B? I am so impressed with both pieces of work. Seeing him do such completely disparate pieces - one is Labute, the other children's theatre...and what a tremendous range he has. Then, noteing the really complex and nuanced work that he does in both - it's just a pleasure to watch him. There is consistently something new to see, he engages you fully in whatever character he's playing, takes you on the ride with him - and he is oh so truthful. I am proud to stand by his side, and mostly, I'm just so happy to get to see good art being made!
THE SHAPE OF THINGS...I have a little trouble with this show. Largely, I'm sure because it's on my list of shows that I REALLY want to direct. I'm pretty possesive about Labute as it is, and I have very particular ideas about this piece myself. Overall, a very decent production - such an intrigueing concept, it's really wild, and really smart! It sort of gets your head all tied up in knots in places. My primary concerns with this production were really mostly centered around technical elements, I felt like there were a lot of elements not really serving the story, and in fact sometimes getting in the actors way. Kudos to the company for producing such a difficult and ultimately really thoughtful play! And B. - WOW - what a tender and provoking journey you take us on. Go see this show. Support art, it's important.
SLEEPING BEAUTY - this production was what I love about children's theatre. It's smart, it doesn't talk down to anyone, it's full of magic - I loved it, hands down! The set is amazing, and if you spent countless childhood hours in magical fairy worlds of your own imagination as I did, it is such a delight to see those worlds come to life. All of the actors were pretty terrifically stellar! I was particularly enchanted with the fairy sequence when Prince Owain and Gryff (the half dragon, half man) are lured into fairy land and tempted to forego their quest and remain there forever. The dancing and singing, the sounds - the energy in this scene was so lyrical. Then, alternately - the chilling Spider King scene was so effective. The juxtaposition of good witch and bad witch carried off with such finesse, and again, lyricism. I can't say enough good things about this production - you should just go see it. Immediately. Walk, don't run.

So...didn't know that I was a theatre critic, huh?

At any rate, if you're still reading - thanks for reading. I'll be back with you soon with a few thoughts on Contrived Ending and Lt. of Inishmore! YAY!

No comments: