Saturday, August 1, 2009

Thank you notes and other niceties...

I've made a new resolution for myself these days. I'll admit, I've been a tad grouchy. Which has actually been a rarity for a while now. I believe that my New Year's resolution to say "thank you" for something every day has really taken it's toll on my cynicism. As a result, I've been pretty chipper of late.

But not this past week. In the past week I have been a downright grump. Crampy and worn out sure - but that's no excuse. SO - I have resolved, that whenever I am feeling particularly unkind or pessimistic, that I will attempt to combat that feeling by doing something nice. Putting something good out into the world. I owe the world some goodness. Thursday was a particularly grumpy day. I stopped by a bakery on the way in and brought treats for work. That helped.

The thing is, I REALLY, REALLY like being nice. I know that well behaved women rarely make history, and I know that being nice is not nearly so important as being smart, revolutionary, provocative...etc... but I don't think that being nice means you can't be those things as well. And being nice makes me feel really good.

BUT...(there's always a caveat, right? the duality of the world, I suppose) I am discovering that it's not quite so selfless as we'd like to let ourselves think. I like being nice. I like knowing that someone's day is a little brighter, or a little easier... I also like knowing that I did that. I like the thank you. Now, I'll defend myself a bit by saying that I don't need a gift, or a big explosion of emotion - but I do really need a thank you. I kind of thrive on thank you's.

It's interesting to me that 100 years ago when people had basically two ways to say "thank you" that they did it, religiously, as an art form. Letter writing, the thank you note - an intrinsic part of society. But now that we can text, call, facebook, myspace, twitter, email, snail mail, im, or say it in person...we forget to say "thank you". Or...we're embarrassed, or don't know how to accept kindness from one another, or something.

And I'm guilty myself. As I write this, I'm thinking of 4 or 5 people that I need to say "thank you" to right now. Seriously folks - think about how good it makes you feel when you just get a casual "thank you" tossed your way at a burger joint...now imagine if your friends or family said it to you, right after you took a minute or two out of your life to do something nice. Wouldn't that make you feel GREAT! So do it.

Say THANK YOU!

I'll be a little less grumpy if you would ;)

1 comment:

AJ said...

She's back!!!
Thank you! :)